Some people consume their weed right away. Others store it and consume it slowly. The latter will want to know the best methods of cannabis storage.
This article will review cannabis storage methods to ensure your weed has the best shelf life possible.
Factors to Consider in Cannabis Storage
There are several factors to consider when storing your cannabis. They include:
- Temperature: Weed should be stored at about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid storing your weed at temperatures that are too low or too high.
- Humidity: If the atmosphere is too humid, your weed may mold. If it’s too dry, the weed can dry out minimizing the effects of the cannabinoids and terpenes. The ideal humidity for weed is between 55% and 65%. You can use a humidity monitor to keep tabs on the conditions of the room where you store your weed.
- Air and Light: UV light will degrade your cannabis. Keep it out of direct sunlight. Air can also diminish the THC levels.
Best Methods for Cannabis Storage
Flower Cannabis Storage
Store flower in a glass container. Metal or plastic will affect the plant’s taste and aroma. Plastic can also create a static charge that causes the plant to break apart and lose its trichomes, cannabinoids, and terpenes.
For best results, use an airtight glass container like a mason jar. You can further protect your weed by opting for a container with UV coating. Store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Pack your stash snugly inside the container. Close it tightly to minimize oxygen content which can affect humidity levels.
PreRoll Cannabis Storage
Joints, blunts, and other types of pre-rolls should be stored in a cool, dry area. Once the pack is open, consume the contents within 30 days to ensure they don’t dry out.
You can further protect your prerolls by storing them in their original container or inside a mason jar. Pack them closely to prevent airflow. The flower is already ground so you don’t have to worry about it breaking apart.
Other Cannabis Storage Tips
- Vacuum Seal Cannabis: Vacuum seal your cannabis to reduce odor. This technique is ideal for people who want to keep their weed discreet.
- Use Ground Flower ASAP: Ground weed won’t last as long as intact flowers, even with the correct cannabis storage methods. Consume ground weed within 30 days to ensure it doesn’t lose its terpene potency.
How Long Does Weed Last?
The expiration date of weed will vary according to the product. Here are some guidelines to consider.
The food ingredients in cannabis edibles will typically go bad before the weed does. Baked edibles with ingredients like eggs and milk may last 2-3 days when stored properly. Candies may have fewer perishable ingredients and will last 6-9 months.
Do not put weed products in a refrigerator or freezer. The refrigerator will cause condensation and put your weed at risk. The freezer will dry it out.
The shelf life of cannabis varies depending on how well-cured it is and its cannabis storage method. Weed that is properly dried and cured can last up to eighteen months, but most products will lose their potency after six months. It’s best to consume flower within six months to avoid issues.
Hash and Wax
The shelf life of hash and wax varies depending on how much flower it contains. Products with less flower will last longer. With the right methods of cannabis storage, hash and wax can last up to eighteen months. Wax may last up to two years but will typically lose its potency in 12-18 months.
Vapes will last two to three years without losing potency because they usually don’t contain plant materials and are generally well-maintained. Some pens last even longer.
Most topicals, such as gels, creams, oils, and cosmetics, will last up to two years with the proper cannabis storage methods depending on their ingredients. Cannabis soaps may last more than two years due to their alkaline characteristics.
Tinctures contain high-proof alcohol which allows them to last up to ten years with the proper cannabis storage methods. However, if they are oil-based, like some CBD tinctures, they may last closer to two years.
Rick Simpson Oil
Rick Simpson oil is made by washing cannabis with an alcohol-based solvent. The solvent is boiled off leaving pure cannabis. It has a very high THC content. The alcohol infusion makes the product last longer. With the right cannabis storage methods, it can last up to ten years.
How Can I Tell if My Weed is Still Good?
- Smell: If your weed has an unfamiliar smell, it’s probably past its expiration date. Weed has varied smells, so this factor may only be detectable by experts. But if your weed smells like rotten eggs, it’s probably bad.
- Texture: if your weed is brittle and crumbling, it probably dried out.
- Mold: If your weed has white fuzz and discolored spots, it is probably molded. Moldy weed won’t kill you, but it may cause a headache and congestion issues.
Start with South Coast Safe Access
South Coast Safe Access can’t store your weed for you. But we promise to sell you fresh weed that offers optimal shelf life. We work with quality brands that provide the best possible weed experience.
Contact us for weed delivery, in-person purchases, and online convenience. We are a recommended weed dispensary in Orange County.