There are many ways to consume marijuana. You can smoke it, eat it, take it as a liquid or capsule, or you can dab it. But what exactly is dabbing and what does it entail? This article will tell you all you need to know.
What is Dabbing?
Dabs are concentrated forms of cannabis. They come in various textures that range from hard crystal to soft wax. They are consumed via a dab rig, electronic rig, or dab pen.
Cannabis dabs are extremely potent because they contain only the trichomes and resin of the plant. They do not contain any plant material. With no filler, the THC in dabs hit powerfully.
How to Dab
Dabbing is typically performed with a dab rig. It’s essential to understand the components of a dab rig to ensure you dab correctly. They include:
- The Dab Rig: The dab rig is a water pipe that is similar to a bong except it has a dab nail instead of a bowl.
- Dab Nail; The nail holds the concentrate. It typically features a bucket shape to keep the dab in place. Make sure you get a dab nail that fits your rig. You may require a male or female nail to fit your rig design.
- Dabber: The dabber is used to apply the dab to the nail. It can be ceramic, glass, or metal. It comes in various shapes including spoon, paddle, ballpoint, and needlepoint. Choose a dabber shape suited to your dab consistency.
- Carb caps: Carb caps are optional, but they are recommended for airflow regulation.
- Torch: You will need a mini torch similar to the ones used to torch crème brulee.
- Cannabis Extract: Cannabis extracts can be wax, oil, or hard shatter.
- Dab Mat: A dab mat is optional, but it will keep your surfaces clean.
- Timer: Timers are also optional, but they will ensure your nail heats up consistently.
- Turn on your torch and aim your flame at the nail. Heat your nail until it turns red hot. If you are using an e-nail, you can heat it by plugging it into the wall. Most users aim for a temperature between 450 and 550 Fahrenheit for optimal flavor and potency.
- When your nail reaches the desired temperature, turn off the torch. Allow the nail to cool. Quartz nails will take about 45 seconds to cool whereas titanium takes closer to 10 seconds.
- Apply the dab to the nail and inhale slowly. Rotate the dabber tip on the nail to prevent wasting oil that’s stuck to the dabber.
- Cover the dab with a carb cap and finish inhaling. The carb cap will regulate airflow.
- Clean your nails: Nail cleanings can be done after every hit, but they should be done after every session. You can clean your nail by heating it to burn off the residue. You can also scrape off minor buildup or wash the nail in 91% isopropyl alcohol.
You can also use a dab pen for dabbing. Dab pens are similar to vape pens, but they are specially designed to hold semi-solid cannabis concentrates. To dab with a pen, you must:
- Remove the mouthpiece to expose the atomizer or coil. Place a small amount of the concentrate in the chamber. Do not overload the chamber or it may become clogged or leak.
- Turn on the dab pen by clicking the power button several times quickly. Doing so will turn on the battery and activate the heating element. Additional clicks may regulate the temperature depending on the pen’s design.
- Once the pen reaches the desired temperature, inhale slowly to enjoy its flavors and potency.
What are the Benefits of Dabbing?
- Potency: Dabs are more potent than other forms of cannabis. People with high tolerance levels may prefer a dabbing experience. Others may enjoy the ritualistic characteristics.
- Flavor: The extraction process ensures products that are high in terpenes. The terpenes make the products flavorful and aromatic.
- Cleaner Smoke: Like bongs, dab rigs have a water chamber that provides a smoother, cleaner smoking experience. The concentrate is also free of plant matter that can irritate the lungs and throat.
- Quick Onset: Dabs hit quickly. They are ideal for people who need speedy symptom relief.
Shatter, Wax, or Oil?
There are three types of cannabis products you can use for dabbing: shatter, wax, and oil. Here is a summary of what you can expect from each.
- Wax: Wax is a hash concentrate oil with a waxy texture. It can contain up to 90% THC. It is created through purging. Residual solvents are removed from the product.
- Shatter: Shatter is similar to wax in many ways. The main difference is the blaster used in the extraction process. It ensures the oil doesn’t get agitated and crystalize. The resulting oil is exceptionally pure and clean. Its consistency can range from a sticky sap to a hard resin.
- Oil: Oil is a cannabis resin extract dissolved in a carrier oil. Various extraction methods may be used to yield cannabis oil. It can be administered orally or topically. It can be vaped, dabbed, or baked into products.
All three cannabis products can be applied directly to a dab nail and inhaled. Wax and oil are easier to apply. Their soft and liquid textures make it easy to coat the nail.
Shatter is harder to apply but it is longer lasting than the other products.
Use Trustworthy Dabbing Products
Ensure you have a great dabbing experience by using trustworthy products. South Coast Safe Access has dabbing products you can count on. We carry reliable, lab-tested brands that make us a trusted cannabis provider.
Contact us to learn more about our exceptional products and services.