If you are interested in trying out different cannabis products, you may wonder, cannabis oil vs wax, which is best for me? This article will discuss what each has to offer so you can decide which you would like to add to your collection.
What is Cannabis Wax?
Cannabis wax is a product of cannabis extraction. It is a solid, opaque substance that forms when the molecules of cannabis wax crystalize due to agitation. This results in irregular molecular densities which light cannot travel through.
The wax is found in four different consistencies which vary depending on the moisture, texture, and density of the oil before the residual solvents are removed. They include:
- Budder: A gummy wax that occurs in oils that have high moisture levels
- Crumble or Honeycomb: Denser, solid yet brittle waxes
- Pull and Snap: These waxes have a taffy-like consistency and can be pulled from their parchment containers until they snap
- Shatter: A solid transparent, amber-colored wax that can shatter under pressure
What is Cannabis Oil?
To fully understand the difference between cannabis oil vs wax, it’s important to know what cannabis oil is as well. Like wax, cannabis oil is also the result of cannabis extraction, but it is more viscous and transparent. Its densities and viscosity can vary.
There are various ways cannabis oils can be extracted. In the past, a chemical process was used. A solvent was brought in to extract the cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids from the flower which were then added them to a carrier oil like hemp oil or MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil. But today, CO2 extraction is becoming more popular because it produces oil that is free from toxic residue that may result from the chemical process.
Cannabis oil can also vary depending on its potency, THC/ CBD content, and the other cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids present.
Cannabis Oil vs Wax : What’s the Difference?
Hash oil vs wax have a variety of differences in addition to how they are produced. Here are some to consider.
Packaging: Oil vs Wax
Cannabis oil is typically sold in a bottle with a dropper for dosing. Wax is sold in parchment paper or a small container.
Price and Potency: Oil vs Wax
Wax is typically around $30 per gram although shatter and pull costs closer to $40 to $55 a gram. An oil vape cartridge costs $30 to $60 while a 32 ml tincture costs $50 – $60. Although oil is slightly cheaper, wax is the more economical option because it’s more potent. This is due to its high concentration of cannabinoids and terpenes.
Purity: Oil vs Wax
Wax is typically purer than oil. It usually ranges from 80% to 100% in pure THC content.
Consumption: Oil vs Wax
There are various ways to consume both cannabis oil and cannabis wax. Here are your options.
- Dab Rig: A dab rig is similar to a bong. To use it, heat it with a blowtorch, then spread the wax into the bowl with a dab nail. Inhale through the mouthpiece.
- Vape: You can buy pre-packed vape cartridges or fill your own cartridge with wax. Then consume according to package directions.
- Add it to a Joint: You can add wax to a joint by spreading the wax in the center of the flower before the joint is rolled or by spreading it on the paper after the joint is rolled.
- Add it to a Bowl: Add wax to the center of the bowl. Use the heat of your lighter to melt it before smoking. This will ensure the THC doesn’t burn off when you smoke.
Cannabis oil can be used in any of the ways cannabis wax can be used as well as the following:
- Sublingually: This involves using the dropper to administer it under the tongue. This will allow it to enter the bloodstream rapidly.
- Orally: This involves taking the oil directly without holding it under the tongue. It produces more of a delayed onset.
- In Foods: Oil can be added to various food and beverage items. You can add it to smoothies, tea, or baked goods. You can also use it to sauté vegetables, marinate meat, or roast foods.
Cannabis Oil vs Wax: Which Should I Take?
There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to cannabis oil vs wax, which should I take? It all depends on what you prefer. However, here are some factors to consider.
- Potency: If you are looking for a potent cannabis product, wax is the way to go. With more potency per gram, it’s an ideal choice.
- Convenience: If you are all about convenience, oil may be a better option. There are more ways to take oil and with it available in dropper form, it produces less of a mess.
SCSA is Your Choice for Hash Oil vs Wax Products
The oil vs wax debate rages on, but no matter which product you choose, it’s recommended that you make your purchase at SCSA dispensary. We have a wide range of pure, potent CBD and THC products. We are a dispensary Santa Ana you can trust.
We will help you solve the oil vs wax dilemma so you can find the products that are best suited to your wellness needs.