If you like cannabis, you know the munchies. They typically set in 10 minutes to 2 hours after consuming cannabis. You will begin feeling the urge to eat something- typically something salty, sweet, or high in carbs. The search to find the best munchie foods ensues.
Well, we don’t want you to spend your entire high finding the best munchie foods. That’s why we made this list. You can stock up on these items so they are always on hand when you get high.
Why Do Munchies Happen?
The THC in cannabis reacts with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) to produce effects throughout the body. The ECS plays a role in many body functions, including appetite. It encourages eating munchie foods in the following ways.
- Increases Ghrelin Production: THC stimulates the release of the hormone ghrelin which stimulates hunger.
- Enhances Sensitivity to Smell: THC makes ‘smell sensors’ more acute. It makes food aromas more potent, so we want to eat more.
- Turns on ‘Eating Neurons’: The body contains neurons that turn on when we eat to tell us we are full. THC overrides these neurons, so we want to eat more.
- Increases Dopamine: THC boosts dopamine production so eating is more enjoyable.
- Lowers Inhibitions: Weed lowers inhibitions that may warn us that we are eating unhealthily.
It is unknown why humans crave junk food over other foods when they are high. However, a study of worms soaked in THC cannabinoids showed a preference for unhealthy munchie foods. Scientists believe THC enhances junk food cravings that already exist in worms and humans.
What are the Best Munchie Foods to Eat When Stoned?
So what are the best munchie foods to eat when stoned? Here are a few examples.
- Pizza: Pizza is the perfect stoner meal. It’s greasy, cheesy, filling, and usually affordable. You can get any toppings you want to further satisfy your cravings.
- Potato Chips: Potato chips’ salty goodness makes them an irresistible stoner snack. Dip them in your desired dip to enhance the experience. They don’t require a lot of prep so they will never harsh your mellow. As a bonus, chips are also available in healthy varieties, so they are ideal for people with wellness in mind.
- Nachos: Nachos are a little harder to prepare than some food items, but the payoff is worth it. Combine the crispy nacho base with guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and jalapeno peppers (for food enthusiasts). This meal will hit the spot.
- Cheeseburgers: Not everyone has the skills to make a cheeseburger when they are stoned. Fortunately, it can be purchased at several fast-food restaurants. It can even be delivered to your door. The meaty middle, gooey cheese, and soft, tasty bread make it the ideal munchie meal choice.
- Ice Cream: Ice cream is perfect for weed users with a sweet tooth. You can have fun by topping ice cream with your favorite sauces and candy bars. Or just eat it directly out of the container. Choose Ben & Jerry’s Half-Baked Ice Cream for the ultimate stoner experience.
What are the Best Healthy Munchie Foods?
Munchie foods don’t have to be unhealthy. Here are some healthy foods that will satisfy stoner cravings without adding to your waistline.
- Sweet Potato Fries: Healthy eaters can still eat fries when they are stoned. Sweet potato fries are good for gut health, brain function, and immunity. They are also rich in fiber which aids with weight loss.
- Guacamole: Eliminate fatty dips by using guacamole instead. Guacamole’s main ingredient is avocado, which is known not to cause weight gain. It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids which have all sorts of health benefits.
- Frozen Yogurt: Frozen yogurt is a healthy substitute for ice cream. Top it with your preferred low-fat toppings. Or stick it in a popsicle mold and savor the experience.
- Cucumber Sandwiches: Replace fatty bread with healthy, low-fat cucumber. Just take two cucumber slices and place your favorite meat and cheese combination in between them. Prepare a tray for healthy snacking fun.
- Cauliflower Buffalo Bites: Cauliflower is a crunchy snack that will taste even better coated in buffalo sauce. Dip it in your favorite low-fat yogurt dressing for added flavor. Celery will freshen your tastebuds as you go.
What Munchie Foods Enhance Your High?
Certain munchie foods will even enhance your high. They include:
- Mangos: mangos are rich in the terpene myrcene which is also found in some cannabis strains. It can boost marijuana’s relaxing effects.
- Chocolate: Chocolate contains anandamide AKA “the bliss hormone”. It produces effects similar to THC. It regulates pain and improves mood. It will increase your sense of euphoria when you are high.
- Broccoli: Broccoli contains beta-caryophyllene, a terpene that, like THC, binds to CB2 receptors. It reduces pain, inflammation, and depression.
- Nuts and Eggs: Nuts and eggs contain omega-3 fatty acids that increase pot’s ability to reduce anxiety, depression, and inflammation. They also may contribute to a stronger, longer-lasting high.
- Green and Black Tea: Green and black tea contain catechins which reduce anxiety and boost mood. They contribute to a more relaxed, balanced high.
Do Cannabis Edibles Give You the Munchies?
Yes, even cannabis edibles can give you the munchies. They contain THC which affects the ECS system to increase appetite regardless of how it is consumed.
South Coast Safe Access is Your Source for High-Quality Cannabis Products
South Coast Safe Access may not carry the best munchie foods, but we sell top-notch products that make those foods more enjoyable. Browse our selection of flower, pre-rolls, accessories, edibles, concentrates, and topicals to find the items that improve your well-being. Contact us to learn more about our great selection.